TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR HIRE OF BICKINGTON VILLAGE HALL
SEE ALSO COVID 19 RISK ASSESSMENTS.
Bickington Village Hall is owned by Bickington Village Trust Ltd, a registered charity whose object is to provide a meeting place and amenities for the residents of Bickington and local surrounding communities. The Hall is available for hire by individuals and organisations subject to the following terms and conditions.
In this document, ‘BVH’ refers to Bickington Village Hall, and ‘Hirer’ as the person named on the booking form for hiring the Hall. Where appropriate BVH shall include the Car Park and Gardens.
- Booking. Before a booking is made for the first time, the Hirer should read through the following terms and conditions in their entirety. The Hall must be booked on the booking form by a named person, who will be considered the Hirer. Where an organisation’s name is also included, the person signing confirms that they do so with full authority of the organisation. The Hirer must be over 18 years of age.
- Discretionary Deposit. If a deposit is requested it must be paid before confirmation of the booking and the booking will not be confirmed until this has been received. The booking deposit is refundable subject to satisfactory inspection after the use of the building by BVH management. This does not absolve the Hirer from payment of any costs which may exceed the value ofthe deposit, whether one was paid or not.
- Breakages and Damage. The Hirer is responsible for all damage to the building, equipment, furniture and property in the building & grounds occurring during the period of the hire or while persons are entering or leaving the building pursuant to the hire, however and by whomsoever caused. The Hirer will be responsible for replacement ‘as new’ of any equipment, furniture or property and for the full cost of making good any damage to the building, fixtures and fittings.
- Culpability. Except for wilful negligence on the part of BVH, BVH shall not be responsible for any loss of, or damage to, the Hirers or any third party’s property arising out of the hiring, nor for any loss, damage, or injury which may be incurred by, or be done to or happen to, any person or persons using the building during the hiring, arising from any cause whatsoever or for any loss due to any breakdown of machinery, failure of supply of electricity, leakage of water, fire, government restriction or act of God which may cause the building to be temporarily closed or the hiring to be interrupted or cancelled. The Hirer shall indemnify BVH against any claim which may arise out of the hiring or which may be made by any person using the building during the hiring in respect of any loss damage or injury.
- Safety. The Hirer should be aware of fire risk and read the Fire Precautions and Actions displayed in the Hall. Hirers are responsible for health and safety issues and providing information about safety procedures, Fire Exits etc. Any accident must be recorded in the Hall Accident Book to be found with the First Aid box on top of the fridge in the kitchen and the Management phoned on the Hall number 07743 044 212.
- Hire Charges. The general hire charges are shown on the website and in the Hall. The likely charge for a booking can be obtained by phoning the Booking Secretary on the Hall phone number 07743 044 212 and will be confirmed on the booking acceptance email.
- Cancellation. In the event of short notice cancellation the Hirer may forfeit some or all of any deposit paid.
- Right of refusal. BVH may refuse any application for the hire of the building without stating a reason. Village individuals and organisations generally have priority over other bookings, but no individual or organisation shall be deemed to have an undisputed right to an unbreakable series of bookings. In cases of doubt or difficulty the Booking Secretary will refer the case to the Management Team whose decision is final.
- Alcohol. Alcoholic drinks may be served totally free of charge; but NO sale of alcoholic drinks may be undertaken unless permission is sought from BVH under its Alcohol Licence. No events may be advertised stating the availability of alcoholic drinks for sale until the relevant form has been signed.
- Public Entertainments, Music & Dancing. All the conditions attached to the Music and Dancing Licence for the building shall be duly observed. A copy of the licence is displayed in the Hall and on the website, or may be seen on application to BVH, and the Hirer shall be deemed to have had notice of all such conditions. All music must cease, and the Hall must be vacated by the times stated in the licence.
- Other Licences, Theatre & Performing Rights Society. BVH’s Licence covers public performances but does not cover Performing Rights. The Hirer is responsible for obtaining the requisite Performing Rights Society Licence and any other licence that may be required for their intended performance. Any such licence must be copied to BVH.
- Occupation and use. The hire of the building is for the specific agreed times and purpose shown on the booking form and does not entitle the Hirer to use or enter the premises at any other time. The building is only to be used for lawful activities. BVH does not represent that the building is suitable for any particular purpose and the Hirer must satisfy himself in this respect.
- Sub-let. The Hirer shall not sublet the building or any part thereof.
- Advertising. All advertising of events should conform to the conditions of hire. This includes all forms of media. Advertising which contravenes the conditions of hire may result in the withdrawal of the booking.
- Entry. The right of entry to the building at any time during the period of hire is reserved to BVH, any agent of BVH, any police officer and the Licensing Authority.
- Conduct and Good Order. The Hirer shall ensure that good order is kept in the building during the period of hire. The Hirer will also ensure that those attending the engagement maintain good order during arrival and departure from the building. At all times the Hirer will take reasonable care to ensure that the occupants of neighbouring properties are not inconvenienced by noise, obstruction by vehicles and the like, particularly late at night. Part of this condition is the requirement for Hirers to abide by the terms of the covenant attached to the Trust’s purchase of the Hall. A copy is kept with these conditions on a notice board in the main hall along with these conditions.
- Cessation of activity. BVH or its Management Team Member(s) reserves the right to put a stop to any entertainment or meeting not properly or reasonably conducted.
- Condition on vacation. On vacating the building, the Hirer shall leave the building in an orderly state and the Hall, cloakrooms and kitchen must be left in as clean a condition as found. The Hirer is responsible for removing rubbish arising from hire of the Hall. There is a black wheelie bin outside for ‘non-recyclable rubbish’, NO FOOD or RECYCLABLES. Exceptional rubbish ie after parties, food, etc, disposal must be discussed on booking, and may be required to be removed from the site by the Hirer. Black rubbish sacks can be found in the kitchen. Any deposit monies will be refunded after a satisfactory inspection of the building by a member of the Management Committee.
- Additions to the building/decorations. No fixtures/fitments, placards, posters or other articles shall be affixed to any part of the building by any means. Hanging of decorations etc may be agreed by arrangement.
- Admission of animals. Apart from Assistance Dogs no animals may be brought in to the Hall without prior permission.
- Property of the Hirer or the Hirer’s agent(s) must be removed from the building within 30 minutes after the expiration of the hiring (unless by prior arrangement) or fees will be charged for each hour or part thereof until the same is removed. BVH accepts no responsibility for any property left on the premises after the hiring. This includes items brought into the Hall for sale and remaining unsold.
- Signage. Permission must be sought for the display of any posters, advertising, bunting etc outside the Hall. Hirers are requested to remove any advertising/posters etc displayed around the village that mention the Hall no later than one day after the event.
- Fire Exits. Must not be blocked by chairs or other obstructions. Fire appliances must not be removed or tampered with.
- Electrical Appliances. Any appliance brought into the Hall must have a current PAT certificate.
- Capacities. Organisers of large events must discuss table/seating layout at the time of booking.
- Smoking. Is NOT permitted in any part of the building or grounds.
- Keys. Keys must be returned to the numeric key box immediately after the event.
- Hire Period. The hire period is the time that the hirer commences and finishes using the Hall. It includes the time taken for setting up and clearing up.
These conditions are intended to help the Hirer, other members of the community and BVH. To this end they may be varied or clarified on request by written agreement from the booking secretary.